1. Teenagers are an extraordinary asset and resource to a community, possessing unique perspectives, idealism, energy, creativity, and commitment. This makes them particularly valuable in addressing society’s unmet needs.
2. Youth service activities have a unique ability to create strong, diverse communities of inspired, intelligent, civically engaged young people.
3. Youth-led service projects are most effective because decision-making gives young people ownership for the solutions. Nevertheless, adults are important partners with youth to maximize the impact of their service by providing them with resources and support services.
4. Service-learning is a valuable learning method that, if adopted widely and implemented with high quality, promotes student achievement and civic engagement.
5. Service-learning provides opportunities for meaningful community service experiences with academic learning, personal growth, and civic responsibility .
6. Teen Leadership Corps instructors and staff promote respect and compassion through dignified service to all generations.
7. Teen Leadership Corps service-learning programs promote reduction of general stereotypes and facilitate cultural understanding among students and community members.
8. Youth empowerment provides a ripple effect creating community rapport for ALL generations.
1,2,3,4: Roper Starch Worldwide, Inc., Public Attitudes Towards Education and Service Learning, November 2000 (www.learningindeed.com). 5: Search Institute, 2005. 6: Independent Sector/Gallup, 1996. 7: UCLA/Higher Education Research Institute, 2001. 8: Why Good Things Happen to Good People, Stephen Post, PhD, and Jill Neimark, 2007. (pg 2) 9: Why Good Things Happen to Good People, Stephen Post, PhD, and Jill Neimark, 2007. (pg. 24)